Get Amazing Stories

Get great contents delivered straight to your inbox everyday, just a click away, Sign Up Now.

homesteading

Benefits: Blessed with Being Self Sufficient

By  |

I have been asked many times to share the many benefits that I have been blessed with by becoming self sufficient. I must first say it has only been by the help of my Lord.

I do not know where to start so I am going to jump right in. There are many benefits in farming and having a homestead. I must say first that it is no easy task in farming and everything is strictly time managed. It is fun sharing what I/we do on the farm from the work labor to cooking, farm chores and the cute pictures of the animals and food harvest.

Benefit #1 There is much prayer in farming

Outside of daily prayers and supplications there are the extra prayers for a good harvest, healthy animals and rain that will help offset some of our watering from our well. I also pray for strength and energy. The animals keep you going, and you have to keep a tight count on what you had at night fall and what is there in the AM.. and if you have free range chicken you count them in the AM, let them out and count them at noon and again when you put them up for the night. we are always reminded of God’s mercy and prayer is a great way to ask and thank our creator.

Benefit #2 Knowing what is on our table and what is in it

We raise our animals to provide meat for our family. They are not pets. We do not keep them for show. They are loved and cared for with respect. We do not medicate them unless they so desperately need it. (Ex: Pneumonia, broken bones or deep wound that requires antibiotics, and the regular de-worming). Our animals are fed whole grain pellets, corn, grass in the pasture, and hay brought in until we can bale our own. No growth hormones. no mishandling them. De-worming is very important… Not doing so can lead to anemia and death. The intestine worms basically suck the life out of your livestock. You can tell by loose stools and or fatigue and pale or white inside of the lower eye lid. *(it should be red or pink)

Benefit #3. Knowledge!

When we started farming.. we had not a clue as to what we were doing. we just jumped right into it. and from day on it was work. Many things did not work out as we planned.. so Google and YouTube . Farming books, Magazine, friends at the stockyard we have developed became our go to for help and ideas. we learned a lot and it helped us along the way ..so much that it has become our way of farming. (read much before getting into it, you will be the vet, nurse, horticulturalist, carpenter, plumber, ) Learn how to do stitches, give injections, deliver babies (animal and human), learn planting skills, and plant types and when to grow what type of plants in each season. Sewing your own clothing, making all you need to eat, know your basic staples and you will not starve for they are versatile. (serve more than one purpose) As long as you have flour, eggs and some kind of fat you can make custard, pudding, pie crust and bread…cake, you can fry your meats and or veggies. Composting and fertile soil… you can grow your veggies.. grow corn and save to cobs to process down to cob/corn syrup.

Benefit #4 Patience

That I did not have, and I’m still working on it. In farming, gardening you need lots of patients. It’s lots of work! oh, yes!! from saving seeds, to prepping your soil, the caring for your soil. Using your space wisely, staking your plants that need support and they still fall over and when you learn of this and go to pick it/them up they break… (rolling eyes)

Weeding, it takes time and patience. You want to get all the weeds out. You need to mulch to keep the sun off the soil suppressing the weed yet keeping the soil moisture in.. so that is a win… I love it. Waiting for your plants to mature and produce fruit and ripen so you can pick it and prepare a delicious meal for your family… what a blessing.. a miracle.. a tiny seed to a juicy fruit with lots of vitamins.

Benefit #5 Self Reliance

I depend on no one. If it does not get done, it’s no ones fault but mine. My garden will not grow if I do not nurture or water it. I will not have meat if I do not care for my livestock. No eggs if my hens are not cared for.

Benefit #6 Food Independence

Growing my own food gives me just that. It lessens my out of pocket cost at the supermarket. I do not have to buy meat, some fruits and no veggies. The veggies that I do have to buy I get from the farmers market. I grow what is easy for me, things that I have tried my hand at and got good success with are green beans, peas, tomato, cucumber, squash, peppers (hot and sweet), onions, eggplant, radish, turnips, watermelon and lettuce. Gourds and loofah sponge .. we are going to add winter squash, pumpkin, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower. For the most part we just eat what we grow. I purchase dry beans from the market but will start to grow a few kinds next season. God willing. We tried garlic but the season was wrong.. we will plant again come fall. Potatoes, I do not know what we did wrong… perhaps nothing because there was taters in the ground but they were very small… maybe they needed to stay in the ground longer… We will try again next season. However we mainly stick to what we know, what we grow with God;s help that grows good for us.

Benefit #7 Family Bonding

We are a close family. We do everything together. All the work on the farm is done by us, from cutting down trees, seeding the grass, planting fruit trees, tending the gardens, building the barn, tilling the land (with a walk behind tiller), putting up fence, mending the fence, building our outdoor stove, making our fire pit, making the outdoor water system and tending to the well. We even bought a wood chipper to make mulch. With all the wood on the farm, we have enough wood to fuel the wood stove outside, and mulch the garden beds. It brings the family closer, a strong team!

Benefit #8 Staying/Getting Fit

I am diabetic, my husband is too. Farm work helped us get and stay fit. I lost much weight working on our farm. I even had a hay bale knock me to the ground. So when they get to rolling you better get to running! Don’t try to stop it. Don’t worry it will stop rolling at some point.. And when it does, just roll it back up and over to where you want it.

Chasing animals that you need to tend to or catch for a sale. Running after goats that seem to get out the animal run no matter how many times you fix the fence. When it’s feeding time and the animals hear you coming.. power walk the food to the feed bin. This way you will not get the feed bucket knocked out of your hands, and you won’t get head butted by the cow.

Benefit #9 Peace

How can you not be at peace with all that you have been blessed with. Your land, home, animals, gardens and skills. You can sit at the end of the day and look around you and see all that you have accomplished. Sit and relax and still be happy knowing that in the AM it will all start again and you love it.

Benefit #10 Happiness

All of the above make us, My family and I are just that, HAPPY! I often sit and wonder what took us so long to be self sufficient. It’s not because we didn’t want to be, perhaps it just wasn’t our time. It is the Creator’s decree!

….We are pleased with that

(Visited 103 times, 1 visits today)
Maisah

Maisah is a homesteader, nurse , herbalist and naturalist, She is frugal, loves DIY, sewing, canning, poetry and so much more. She loves to have fun and have a blast with her family. "Don't go through life, Grow through life."

51 Comments

1. TinaSoFresh

July 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Amazing! Alhamdulillah. Thanks so much for sharing. My husband and I have always wanted a farm. Great read!

2. Aishah

July 23, 2014 at 11:01 PM

I remember our days on the farm. They were so much work and yet they made life so much simpler. And you did wake up every morning feeling blessed. Good memories for sure.

3. Anonymous

August 1, 2014 at 7:44 PM

You make it sound so worthwhile, but exciting at the same time,. I really enjoyed this post.

4. Sakeenah

August 1, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Mashaallah! I can imagine there is so much shukr in farming. It’s great to read your reflections. It would be wonderful to move closer to this lifestyle.

5. bxcrochet

August 18, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I have always wanted to have a garden and grow my own veggies and fruits. Maybe one day i will move out of the city.

Michelle F.

6. FamiGami

August 18, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Being self sustaining is such a rewarding idea that more should ensue. Thank you for this.

7. Diana Villa

August 18, 2014 at 5:49 PM

I totally agree with you! Thanks for the great and useful post 😀

8. Angela Lynn

August 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM

That is such an amazing and wonderful way to live. I admire you!

9. Britney Mills

August 18, 2014 at 8:12 PM

These are some awesome benefits! I have a little garden out back and I love the working of the ground as well as seeing the fruits of it!

10. Annemarie Leblanc

August 18, 2014 at 8:27 PM

This looks like a great way to live!

11. Kung Phoo

August 18, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I did not know a few of those benefits.. but now that i read this i can see it..

12. Liz Chapman

August 19, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Our garden is still trucking along. Our chickens were the best investment have to say love getting FREE eggs!!

13. Pauchee Casimiro

August 19, 2014 at 2:32 AM

Thanks for sharing. I learned a lot from your post.

14. Angela Johnson

August 19, 2014 at 2:53 AM

Sounds like a lot of work, but very rewarding. God bless

15. Nolie

August 19, 2014 at 3:12 AM

I’ve always wanted to garden. It just seems so cathartic.

16. Natalie Summers

August 19, 2014 at 7:30 AM

I’ve always wanted to farm but I have no skills in doing so, nor do I have any space to do it.

17. Aisha Kristine Chong

August 19, 2014 at 8:55 AM

It takes a lot of effort but its always worth it.

18. Kath Rivera

August 19, 2014 at 11:44 AM

We need to be thankful for the bounty blessing that we receive everyday.

19. themommyavenger.com

August 19, 2014 at 12:13 PM

This is becoming more and more of an appealing lifestyle to me. I have always been self sufficient, but this takes it to the next level.

20. Laura

August 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Food sufficient is very important. I think people take the ease of the grocery store for granted. It’s important to be able to know some growing basics.

21. Kathy Gray

August 19, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I have a tiny garden. It is surprising to me the great feeling we have when we actually prepare and eat food we grow. My grand father always had a garden.

22. mail4rosey

August 19, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Well I have to admit I was laughing at #8. I’m sure it’s not funny in the moment, but it’s sure funny on paper. 🙂

• Fatooms Halal Farm

December 1, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Lol, lol… yes its funny! Girl when we go to the feed room they know and becalling away.. chocolate our cow walks over where she can see us andas we are walking over to the run shes waiti.g at the gate. So we through food over to make her run to the other side… we count to 3 and run as fadt as we can with 2 10gal sized buckets in our hands…

23. Rena McDaniel

August 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I always wanted to grow up on a farm. We have a garden but nowhere near the size as yours. What a great life you have!

24. Risa Bledsoe

August 19, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I think it would be great to raise your own food and know what’s in it. It would also give you such a feeling of accomplishment knowing you made it all yourself!

25. Gloriously Made

August 19, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I love your post! Gorgeous pictures of the food that you grew on your farm. I would love to be able to do this someday. Seems like I just need more time in a day.

26. Andrea Kruse

August 19, 2014 at 10:05 PM

As a full-time 4th generation farm family, I would say we don’t have much time to be unhappy with our lives because there is so much to do. We are tired at night and wake early. We eat well and get to spend a lot of time together. I don’t think farming is for everyone, but it was a great choice for us.

27. Chrissy Mazzocchi

August 20, 2014 at 12:28 AM

I’d much rather support the local farming and have those healthy foods 🙂

28. Rachael Yerkes

August 20, 2014 at 4:20 AM

There are so many benefits to farming. What a great list. I especially like that you know what is in your food.

29. Maisah

August 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Thank you ladies (beauty queens) for your lovely comments. They help me get and keep my uummpphhh up and going strong. I would love for others to have what I have and do what I love to do. It does not have to be a Farm with animals.. it can just be a small garden, share in with someone else (co-op)… Time at times is very hard to manage. in the fall when the days are shorter, when I go outside for the evening chores I do not get back in til way after dark. I need better time management lol, But all the time I give thanks. Thank you again ..and thank you to all those that do not farm but buy and support your local farmers/farmers markets..

30. Rebecca Swenor

August 20, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Great post. I love how you don’t take things for granted or that is what I got form your post. I think it is great you have your own farming. It is nice knowing exactly where everything comes from and you know exactly what in your food. Thanks for sharing.

31. Jenivieve

August 20, 2014 at 7:38 PM

So can I ask you – was this something you did coming from a city life? How did you get started? I want to do this but knwo NOTHING!!!

• Maisah

August 21, 2014 at 5:13 AM

Jenivieve

I was Born and raised in a Small town in NJ… Morristown, I lived there til I graduated HS. Growing up my folks had large gardens and they canned and dried their food. We fished often and hunted. I was raised by my grandmother and she was super old school… lol, lol I miss her to death. I later moved to a large city in NJ and left some things behind but did not forget them. When I started to have children I wanted to teach them what I knew and I longed to do the things that I did as a child growing up and wanted to add to it.. what to add I did not know at that time. I often thought back to my childhood and remember wanting to know how it was in the old days. I remember wanting to be a cowgirl, living on a ranch.. lol… Once we moved to the south I was living in an apt and it had a very large patio.. the landlady let me make a lil garden. I was so happy. My dh and I would talk and discuss ideas and realized we had the same ideas and dreams. He as a small child had pigeons and container gardens and fruit trees… he did not mind adding larger animals to his list. so we decided to buy land one day.. we used our tax money and money we had set aside. we later searched for a home and when the right on came along we jumped right on it and did the same (used our tax money and money that we later saved) Would you believe me if I told you we knew nothing also??? well we didn’t!! we had the slightest clue as to what we were getting into… I am loling so hard. I think my dh was more excited than I and all the fruit trees we bought he planted anywhere, he went out and bought a sheep and a goat.. we had no fence system up and no shelter for them.. nothing…!! Mr Farmer just had a rope and made a leash and put it around their necks and let them be in the yard… 2 weeks later he made a barn for them out of bread crates.. we recycle lots here and it held up good til he came home with calves and loads of sheep and some rabbits, some chicken and ducks… well he made the barn bigger but it was just not right.. it did not last (to make a long story short) We learned so much from our mistakes.. WE MADE MANY! so as per my blog we took to YouTube, other farmers and even feed stores for ideas and help.. I have a blog here too where I share two books that are so awesome.. I recommend anyone to get them farming or not.. they are great books to have as for if anything goes wrong in this beautiful US of A you will know how to survive. I will get the titles for ya.. First jot down what type of farm you want, or if you even want to farm. Maybe just a garden or a hobby farm or just to be self-sufficient. Do you want animals and what type of animals. plan a garden … think of ways you can make money within your farm. like my girls and I have an Etsy shop, we sell our homemade laundry soap and vases made from used apple cider bottles and cookies in a jar.. all the person that bought it does is add the wet ingredients, bake and enjoy… think of how much land you need.. I know a few people with a 1 acre farm… start there.. be on the look out for my next blog “I want to start a Farm, Now what” I have had many ask me what it is that they need to do and know starting a farm. It is not hard… it is tiring, its rewarding and can be fun.. you have sad and happy moments..worrying times.. at times you loose. But, you pull yourself up by your boot straps and keep going. oh and make sure your partner is on board with ya..don’t forget to make YouTube and Google your learning spot and I will help as much as I can.

32. Liz Mays

August 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM

I can see that it would be incredibly fulfilling. I would very much love to know exactly where my food is coming from and how it’s grown. You’re lucky.

33. Kristen

August 21, 2014 at 2:03 AM

I don’t grow food, but I do love buying local. I wish more people knew how to cook healthy and grow food. We would be so much better off!

34. Yan Birog

August 21, 2014 at 7:55 AM

it’s great to know how grateful you are for all the good harvest you’re receiving! i appreciate that your farming has improved your prayer life! keep it up and may God bless you with more harvest! 🙂

35. Ashley Nicholas

August 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I’ve always thought farming was a noble hobby and profession. I love the positive outlook you have!

36. Erin Tracy

August 21, 2014 at 5:11 PM

It’s really impressive how self sufficient you are. I just started my first garden at our new house this past summer and it has been a lot of fun. Some trial and error (the peas didn’t produce anything, tomatoes from the previous owner overtook a lot, the tomato cages I got were too small, planted the onions too early), but it has been fun and rewarding to eat food that I grew myself.

• Maisah

August 23, 2014 at 1:10 AM

I’m chuckling here Erin… I have had the same issues with some things.. and the stakes that I used to hold my tomatoes up did not do a thing. My maters were all leaned over and on the ground. I eve broke a few. I do plan to make my cages nest spring/summer. I will show a pic tutorial when we do it. it wont be till the season kicks in. We had a bad storm this spring and it washed out all my peas… I was so happy to find some cool weather tolerant “Snap Peas” that we will plant this fall. We planted our garlic again Wed. now know it is a fall crop and you pick it end of spring… and I need to check where we planted our onions.. I saw some sprouts so I guess they are fine.. I think I am going to pull one up and see hoe they are doing. our potatoes were a bust but learned a new trick that will feed them all naturally and give a good yield.. I will be sharing that trick as soon as I try it and see that it really works.. I am so happy that you are gardening and that it is working for you. Do continue to try again the things that did not work for you.. peas are pretty easy to grow and pretty much grows in just about anything and anywhere..

I hope all that you try your hand at be of great success and benefit to you and your family.. 🙂

37. Tracy Iglesias

August 22, 2014 at 1:02 AM

I don’t have space to farm here in the city but it is great to know exactly where your food is grown and how fresh it is, farm to table is the best way to go!

Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly

38. MaryJane Tauyan

August 22, 2014 at 1:28 PM

love all your list! i should start making a blessed list for myself too! sounds nice and feels very good!

39. Maisah

August 23, 2014 at 1:12 AM

Thank you all for your comments, Happy growing to you all, all season long.

40. Vicki

August 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Thanks for linking up at Natural Living Monday!

41. Jessica | The 104 Homestead

August 28, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. Homesteading has opened my eyes and taught me so much beyond how to care for chickens and gardens. Thank you so much for sharing this on Green Thumb Thursday. If you haven’t shared with us yet today, there is still time. You can submit links as late as Wednesday night.

42. Nile Flores

August 29, 2014 at 5:28 AM

Gratitude is really huge… for those who don’t embrace it, they won’t feel the blessings that you have. Hopefully others who haven’t embraced it yet, will be inspired by this.

43. Lisa Murano

December 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Great post! I love your list of benefits!

Thanks for linking up with Green Thumb Thursday last week. I’ll hope you’ll join us again for this weeks hop!

Lisa

44. Patricia

February 21, 2015 at 11:56 PM

This is great. I always sit back and think about what the benefits would be of farming and “living off of the land”. It’s great to hear it first hand.

45. Pingback: Feature Fridays #Linky Party, Week 13 - Ummi's House

46. Sumaira

February 28, 2015 at 10:43 PM

I gained so much knowledge from reading this, thank you for putting this post together! 🙂

47. heather

March 1, 2015 at 4:27 PM

patience is definitely the key to being more self sufficient…it’s a process

48. Pingback: The Best Homesteading Articles and Books of 2015 | North Country Farmer